Thursday, November 8, 2012

Primer Día de Clases

Yep, and I thought the hard part was over. FALSO! I studied a bit before class this morning, but like I am realizing with everything, no matter how much you try to prepare yourself for something you can never be fully prepared for anything. I may have passed the placement test, but the hard work is only beginning.



Here's my schedule:

9am: Avenzado Langua Española

Two hours of intensive language study bright and early in the morning all about the many many many different verb endings and other grammatical jubilee. Two weeks ago I felt like the small amount that I knew would be enough to get my by. First day of class I am slapped in the face with the realization that that just aint so. In total I think I understood about 30-40% of what was being discussed in class. Not a great way to start, but we can only go up from here.


11am: Avanzado Conversación Redaccion

One quick hour in a small class taught by the same Prof. who gave me my placement test. She is super laid back, in fact they all are. "Tranquilo", everyone keeps saying; quiet, carefree, peaceful.

Work hard and stay calm. It's what I've been told a handful of times already.

11:00am to mediodía, random group chats, little actividades de conversación and then poof my second class for the day is done.

For my final class I book-it all the way across campus, through the Plaza Major and back up the street like I'm heading home. I will never be able to be on time for this class. Está bien. My American friends who have been here all semester tell me that in España everyone is more laid back than The States. The clock is a guideline, not the end-all-be-all, and rushing and worrying is not necessary. I really dig that.


12pm: Avanzado Cultura Español

20 minutes late, but at least next time I will remember where the building is. This time I spent more than 10 minutes looking for someone who could understand my nervously broken Spanish plea of, "Do you know where this building is!?" Didn't find anyone who could help except here comes this sweet girl from my second class rushing past. She stops to ask me if I know where a building is, turns out we are looking for the same place. "No sé". She grabbed my arm and told me to come with her.  Definitely helpful to have a Spanish speaker with you when you're lost in Spain. Bam! The first people she asked for help understood her perfectly of course, pointed us in the right direction and that was my adventure for the day... wait a second, did I just have and adventure in Spain with Dora,, THE Dora?

That class was cool. Muy fácil. And, if I understood correctly, which I'm pretty sure I did, I won't have a final exam for this class either. Now that is muy bueno!

My final class goes by quickly and I basically just have to sit and learn about the culture of España by watching movies and video clips, listening to music and looking at pictures. It's a nice way to wrap up the day.

This will be my life Monday through Friday for four whole weeks. If this is what I have to do in order to finish my degree I'm pretty sure I can handle it.

I just have to remember, tranquilo.


No comments:

Post a Comment