Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Held Hostage in el Apartamento de mi Madre Españoles

My host mom Paquita, (PQ as I like to call her in my head) has been feeling under the weather all day. She was kind enough to walk me to campus for my test this morning and patient enough with me when I told her that in addition to not having a phone, I sort of forgot the paper with her address on it, and my map. She reacted as though I had just spit on a baby in a stroller. I had to calm her down. "Esta bien. Esta bien. No hay problema." Though inside I was thinking, "Crap! I'm gonna get lost in Spain on my first day." I kept an eye on landmarks so as to find my way back, but tried making some small talk too. Immediately hushed every time. "Mirar! Mirar!" (Look! Look!) she would gently shout. Wanting me to stop talking and just pay attention to our walk. She is sweet enough though.

On a side note, I'm noticing definite OCD tendencies (more on that later I'm sure), and coming from a girl whose got her own OCD issues I think that's saying a lot.

Anyways, I've been home off and on today, but shut-up in my room whenever I've been home. Just catching up with family, posting pictures, organizing things etc. Having to sit and make small talk is probably the most stressful part of this experience now that the test is over. And after a day like today, with my placement test and adventure finding my way 20 minutes back home from Uni, making small talk was the last thing I wanted to do. Honestly I could really just use a bubble bath, some wine and some solace. I'm settling simply for the solace.

Still getting used to the eating schedule in Spain. Té and a pastry for breakfast, a large meal around 2pm followed by that wonderful siesta we Americans have all heard so much about, and then a small dinner that isn't until around 9 or 10pm. Being that it's just my second day here I assumed PQ would just do what she did last night and knock on my door when cena was ready. It was 9pm my first night, so 9:20 comes around and I peak my head out of my room. Found the kitchen closed down, lights off and her bedroom door shut. ????

Qué? No cena?

My study abroad paperwork mentioned that in Spain the kitchen is kind of a sacred place and students shouldn't assume that they can just go in there and dig around for food... I was screwed.

Thank goodness for bringing way too much food for the plane ride in my carry-on.

I figured, okay, no hay problema. I'll just eat some granola and a fruit roll and jump online to watch some American television.

Si, hay problema.

To save energy, and money I'm assuming, (but perhaps it's the un-diagnosed OCD) PQ likes to unplug the internet before she goes to bed... double screwed.

Fortunately good always comes out of bad, and Bing! Bang! Boom! I typed up this new blog post.

1 comment:

  1. You need a "stash" of a nice bottle of red wine and maybe a loaf of crusty olive bread hidden in your room for just such an emergency!
    Big hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete